Who We Are
The Cape Cobras brand is one that is inspired by the passion of cricket.
It is a compassionate brand that believes in giving back to the community and the spirit in which the game is played.
The brand desire for excellence is accompanied only by its desire to be the best. Humble in their approach, the Cape Cobras are nothing without their ultimate weapon, The Fans.
They are a culture of champions; a team that breeds Heroes who inspire others to achieve the unachievable.
They will summon the Champion Mentality within them and take charge on OR off the field – they are the Cape Cobras.
A Brief History
In 2004-05, Boland and Western Province first class cricket teams combined to form one provincial team which would compete in the domestic competitions. The team was named Western Province Boland.
The following year the team changed its name to the Cape Cobras as the name was more suitable as it was shorter, less confusing to fans and resembled a fierce animal which was unique to the Cape.
Due to two teams merging, the Cape Cobras have two known home grounds, one being the second best TEST Cricket Ground in the world (as voted by the Cricketer in May 2012), Newlands Cricket Ground (now known as PPC Newlands), and the other stadium being Boland Park in Paarl.
The Cape Cobras have received several honours throughout the years:
- 2007 MTN Domestic Champions
- 2008: Beat 2008 IPL Twenty 20 Champions the Rajasthan Royals in “Clash of the Champions” match
- 2008 / 2009: Standard Bank Pro 20 Champions
- 2009: Reached the semi-final of the inaugural CLT20 in India
- 2009 / 2010: Supersport Series Champions
- 2010 / 2011: Supersport Series Champions
- 2010 / 2011: Standard Bank Pro20 Champions
- 2011 / 2012: 1 Day Cup Champions
- 2012 / 2013: Momentum Cup Joint Winners with Lions
- 2012 / 2013: Sunfoil Series Champs
- 2013 / 2014: Momentum One Day Domestic Champions (joint winners with Titans
- 2013/2014: Sunfoil Series Champions
- 2013/2014: RAM Slam T20 runners up
- 2014/2015: RAM Slam T20 Champions
South Western Districts Cricket, with the Recreation Ground in Oudtshoorn as the venue, became the third shareholder in December 2015.